Saturday, December 13, 2008

Great Grandparents

This is a picture of my great grandparents, Fedosia and Jacob Laktonen, at their 50th wedding anniversary in Karluk. I don't know if this is true but I heard he was standing on a phone book in this photo. A few years back, Thayo Brandal, an Elder in Port lions gave me a glass plate that said "50th Anniversary" that she said came from them, but I am not sure where it was found or if it is really theirs. It does not appear in this picture, but if those cups and saucers are glass with gold trim I guess they would match. Both Fedosia and Jacob are featured on recordings in Alutiiq archived at the Alaska Native language Center. Last semester I worked with Jeff Leer from ANLC to transribe and translate Fedosia's story of how the Raven got the sun, which is a common legend/creation story throughout Alaska. That recording is the only one I know of about Raven from Kodiak Island.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you very much for posting this photo.

Mara said...

Hey April, can you post the story about the raven?