Thursday, October 23, 2008

Caqiq "Steampunk?"

I have noticed a fashion trend on my numerous adventures into the handmade world of etsy.com called "steampunk."

While difficult to define exactly, steampunk has to do with turn-of-the-century victorian fashion, industrial gears, leather and buckles. I especially love all of the jewelry made from old watches, vintage beads, and found metal objects. There is also a connection between steampunk and Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series, which has brought about a craze in vampire fashion.

There is a very useful and interesting article about the steampunk trend here. You can click on any of these pictures to take you directly to the etsy shop....Unfortunately, here in AK I have little opportunity to publicly wear corsets, and the lace cuffs would likely not look right under my down puffy coat I am sporting, now that winter has hit us hard....So, I may have to settle for the jewelry until next summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in Eagle River and I'm feeling the same way!
I wish there were more convention type things here in Alaska.