Monday, March 23, 2009

Volcanoes and Canceled Flights

Mount Redoubt has erupted right before I am scheduled to return to Kodiak. If I don't get stuck in Seattle, I may get stuck in Anchorage, as they are canceling flights from both places right now. Thankfully I have family I could stay with either way, but I just want toget back to Jeremy, Emmy, and the dogs. Siska has been having trouble with his back and can hardly walk Jeremy had to bring him to the vet yesterday and he is in less pain now, but dragging his feet :-(
Alaska Airlines Cancels 19 Flights Due to Mt.Redoubt Volcanic Ash
3/23/2009 5:04 am (PT)

SEATTLE —Alaska Airlines announced it has canceled 19 flights destined to Anchorage and flights out of Anchorage to Bethel, Dead Horse, Kodiak, Nome, Kotzebue and Barrow. The flights were canceled as a safety precaution related to the pattern of ash at altitude created by the eruption of Mt. Redoubt volcano near Anchorage, Alaska.

As of 4 a.m. Pacific time, 16 flights were canceled. The airline is monitoring the ash pattern on a continuous basis and hopes to resume flights later when it is safe to do so.
Get more updates on Redoubt here.

1 comment:

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

And even if you get to Kodiak you might not be able to get home from the airport! We are buried under snow. I am in heaven. Piugta