Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I did it.

I joined Facebook.  I had been resisting for so long, but today I was looking at the Alutiiq Museum's new Facebook profile, and thought, why not?  I am intentionally trying to be semi-incognito about it, though Facebook doesn't make it very easy.  It definitely creeped me out when immediately after signing me up, it had a whole page of suggested friends.  Some of them I know I had in my email address book...  Was that in the fine print or something? That was a joke.

You do give something up when you join these sites.  I figure if I keep my footprint light, like limiting my photos (since they technically can do what they want with them once they are uploaded, right?) and my personal info.  But software is so high-tech nowadays it is hard to keep too much private.  But who am I kidding?  I have a fully public blog!

1 comment:

The Yellow Porcupine said...

I joined Facebook to find out what was going on with my former students and I truly enjoy this aspect of it, but there is a lot of crap on it - what is "Mafia Wars"? BTW, most of my profile information is false (birthday,etc - I even misspelled my name); I did this after attending a workshop on identity theft and social networks. This allows me to find people, but makes it a little more difficult for people to find me.